We do not treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. For some reason, ADHD seems to afflict boys more often than girls. However, since ADHD appears as a neurological disorder and chiropractic care attempts to reduce nervous system disturbances, many parents who want a natural, non-drug solution for their child have found chiropractic care helpful.
The classic signs that parents and teachers notice:
- Inattention, hyperactivity and being easily distracted
- Difficulty concentrating and sitting still
- Inability to control impulsive thoughts and behaviors
- Easily distracted by noises and activities
- Always moving fingers, hands, arms, feet or legs
- First Things First
Begin by making nutritional and lifestyle changes. Rule out environmental factors by reducing your child exposure to substances that are increasingly common these days:
- Remove food dyes, preservatives and additives from the diet.
- Focus on natural, organic foods grown without pesticides or herbicides.
- Determine if an allergy is involved such as dairy or gluten and eliminate.
- Eliminate all sugars and artifical sweeteners.
- Reduce the use of cleaning agents, detergents, fabric softeners and other chemicals.
- These are wise choices whether your child has the symptoms associated with ADHD or not!
The most common treatment is the prescription of a Class 2 psychotropic drug.
A popular approach to controlling symptoms of ADHD is to administer regular doses of methylphenidate. More commonly known as Ritalin®.
Ritalin® is a schedule II controlled substance related to, and producing similar effects as, amphetamines and cocaine. The side effects, including personality changes and permanent changes to the brain, cause many parents to look for alternatives.
Chiropractic: Pure and Natural
Instead of treating the various symptoms of hyperactivity, we look for disturbances to the child's nervous system. We often find problems caused by spinal distortions in the upper neck.
In fact, this link between the spine, brain stem dysfunction and ADHD is common. A thorough chiropractic examination can reveal noticeable spinal distortion, even a reversal of the normal neck curve. That why we often recommend a schedule of safe and natural chiropractic adjustments to help reduce the accompanying nervous system tension.
Find Out More
As parents, we want the best for our children. If your child exhibits the symptoms of ADHD, you know it affects virtually everyone your child is in contact with. As you consider your options, get a thorough chiropractic evaluation. Call our office at 630-455-0435 or email Dr. Surrusco with your question or schedule a no-obligation consultation and find out if your child is a good candidate for today's safe and natural chiropractic care.